Wednesday 25 April 2018

Mid-Week Flash Challenge - Week 52

This week completes a whole year of #MidWeekFlash! I can't believe it's been that long already!

"Happy Birthday to MidWeekFlash, Happy Birthday to MidWeekFlash! Hip Hip Hooray!"

This week's prompt is by Even Liu, a Hong Kong artist who has some incredible art. Take a look at their website here.

I considered something dystopian for this story, but then I noticed the lamp and a couple of voices turned up, and here's what happened. Enjoy.

The General Guidelines can be found here.

How to create a clickable link in Blogger comments can be found on lasts week's post here.




Snatchers

“He went in there–”

“Ssshhhh!”

“I’m telling you he did!”

“I know. Ssshhhh! They’ll hear us!”

Robson whispered, “But he’s gone in and not come back!”

“None of them come back!” Jinxy hissed back.

“But it’s not right.”

“What do you want me to do about it?”

“We need to go in after him.”

“In there? You’ve got to be having a laugh.”

“No, really. Look he’s left his lantern, let’s go in and find him.”

Jinxy crossed his arms over his chest. “You’re more stupid than I thought.”

“What?” Robson was confused.

“You think he went in there willingly?”

“What do you mean?”

“His lamps on the ground, right there.”

“Yeah? So? He had to leave it there to climb up.”

Jinxy snorted. “Don’t be daft.”

“What then?”

“Something took him!” Jinxy hissed again.

“No! No way!” Robson looked over his shoulder but the flat desert was empty around him.

“It’s why they grow here.”

 “What?”

“The flowers dumbo! They come to snatch us up.”

“Don’t be daft!” Robson chuckled, but it was forced. He looked round again, his nerves starting to show as his foot tapped. “Flowers don’t eat people.”

“You sure about that? Remember last month when Jessie went missing.”

“Sweet girl.”

“Aye that she was, but there’d been a flower there.”

“Where?”

“By her house, stupid.”

“There’s not one now.”

“No, exactly!” Jinxy’s eyes grew big and round. “That’s what I mean. They come, they snatch someone and then they’re gone.”

“You don’t mean it?”

“I do!”

“Then how come this one’s still here then?”

“Maybe it’s only just taken him! Maybe it’s waiting for more. Who knows!” Jinxy was enjoying putting the chills up Robson.

Robson stepped back. “Best not stand so close.”

“Nah, you’re alright.”

Robson took another step back.

“I ain’t risking it.”

Jinxy laughed. “Don’t be stupid. We’re fine here for a while, it’s too soon.”

“I’m not sure I am the one being stupid this time, Jinxy.”

There was a sudden rushing sound, like a belch working its way up from a deep place, and Jinxy’s feet left the ground as he was sucked up into the open bowl of the flower.

Robson stood wide-eyed for a second then scuttled away, mumbling, “And he always called me the daft one.”


6 comments :

  1. Replies
    1. Yours is great, it even sort of links to mine! Thanks for joining.

      Delete
  2. https://ailsaabraham.com/2018/04/25/small-deities/
    Here is mine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such a juicy snippet. MORE! Thanks for joining.

      Here's a clickable link for other readers: Small Deities

      Delete
  3. Slowly catching back up with the prompts. Sorry I got behind. Week 51 killed me...

    A tiny glimpse into a world that exists only in my imagination. Long after the humans are no longer on Earth. :)

    We Don't Know What It Is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked this one. Made me wonder how there would be no trace of our bodies ... Thanks for making the effort to join.

      Delete